If you have heard of Etsy.com and are skeptical that you should be using their services… Read On!
If you have never heard of Etsy.com… It was originally a website where you could buy and sell handmade products. The site built a community beyond what eBay.com could ever imagine.
Today… you can buy and sell vintage products, patterns, tutorials, as well as thousands of wonderful handmade products. And… it’s not set up as an auction format. You sell the product for the price you set.
So what does Etsy.com have to do with Public Domain?
Okay… since you asked so nicely… :0)
I have been looking for places to sell digital download products as well as physical products. You must know by now that eBay no longer allows digital downloads of products… (I know there are ways around that rule – but I don’t want to go into the black hat uses of eBay).
Of course – you won’t get rich selling digital downloads on Etsy.com. This is just another one of those multiple streams of income I am always “harping” about.
Some sellers are using the Stuart Turnbull (Prints Make Profits) method of tearing up old books and selling the originals on Etsy.
One of the types of products I am very interested in selling on Etsy.com are digital downloads. I have several ideas (including physical products):
- Graphics – Images I’ve created using Public Domain content (Download and Physical)
- Tutorials – How to find and use Public Domain Images
- Products that crafter’s/artists can use in their products/projects. Little goodies that I find at the thrift store that I can’t sell in my Amazon store.
This seller has digital graphic downloads for sale:
It looks like this seller lists scans ranging in price from 2.98 to $6.99.
If your interested in all the “how to” of selling on Etsy… they have a massive amount of helpful material here:
- The cost to have an Etsy store? Free
- The cost to list an item (no matter what price is sells at)? .20 cents. If you gave the listing a quantity of three, it would cost $0.60. etc…
- The percentage Etsy gets after sale? 3.5%
- If you don’t live in the U.S. can you still sell on Etsy? yep
- Don’t forget to add in the cost of PayPal fees. (Yuck) You should have a Paypal account to accept payment.
Can You Make Money Selling On Etsy?
Consider this scenario:
Sell 5 items per day
$3 per item
Total $15 per day
$450 per month.
Guestimate on costs $150
Potential profit – $300 per month.
I’ve seen some sellers with much higher sales in a month! And this could be all digital downloads – no shipping costs.
Are you interested in Selling Graphics or other “stuff” on Etsy? Is it worth the effort?
I’m curious to hear your thoughts… reply below.